Usually done with leftover risotto, these balls are breaded and fried in oil as an afternoon snack or an antipasto.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil (E.V.O.O)
- 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- I cup all purpose flour
- 1 extra egg (for egg wash)
- For the rice:
- Mix cheese, eggs, pepper, whisk them together in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour water and salt into a pot and bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat to low. Cook until water is almost absorbed, stirring frequently (thats important as it helps release the starch in the rice).
- Add the cream and stir until most of the liquid is cooked out.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour in egg mixture and stir.
- Allow rice mixture to cool for 2 hours. Or you can freeze overnight.
- After cooling make rice into 1oz balls (ice cream scooper helps here) and tightly compact them.
- Coat in the flour
- Dip in egg wash (egg and 1/2 cup of water)
- Evenly coat in the Panko
- Fry at 350 degrees until golden brown.
- Let the balls rest on paper towel so it doesn’t get soggy
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian