This Old Fashioned Recipe is the traditional drink without fuss. It’s simple, elegant, and wonderfully balanced, perfect for the start of a meal, or to relax.
- 1 tbsp Sugar or Simple Syrup
- 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz of Whiskey or Bourbon
- Ice (Optional)
- Citrus Peel
- Twist Cherry (optional)
- Add simple syrup, Angostura bitters, and Bourbon together.
- Add the ice and stir. If using sugar instead of simple syrup, add the sugar and water together.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved, and add the bitters and Bourbon.
- Finalize with the ice and stir.
- Using a channel knife for a twist, or a vegetable peeler, cut the peel of an orange, twist it, and run it along the rim of the glass. Adding it to the drink as a garnish.
- Garnish with a cherry (optional: not orthodox traditional, but at this point, do what makes you happy)
Add more sugar or simple syrup to taste. It should taste sweet to your comfort level. A good sphere of clear ice adds a dimension of elegance to this cocktail. Don’t muddle a citrus slice into the drink.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Old Fashioned Cocktail